Good intentions are not enough; it is possible to hurt poor people in the very process of trying to help them. Learn how you can walk with people who are poor in ways that lead to lasting change.
Based on the book When Helping Hurts, the goal of this study is to equip us with a ministry framework that restores the poor to fulfilling their God-given callings and potential. Rather than simply defining poverty as a lack of material things, we'll address the roots of the issue and see how God's reconciling work moves us toward helping the poor without hurting them.
- Sunday Mornings at 8:30-9:30 AM
- 8 - week course, beginning October 8 (no class November 26)
- SGC Multipurpose Room
- Required Book - When Helping Hurts: The Small Group Experience, Steven Corbett & Brian Fikkert
- Each participant will need their own copy of the book for the first class on October 8
- Purchase When Helping Hurts, The Small Group Experience
- Recommended Reading: When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor....and Yourself, Steven Corbett & Brian Fikkert
|Oct 8||Reconsidering the Meaning of Poverty||Unit 1|
|Seeing God at Work, Part 1||Unit 2|
|Oct 22||Seeing God at Work, Part 2||Unit 2|
|Oct 29||Understanding Why Good Intentions Are Not Enough||Unit 3|
|Nov 5||Joining God's Work, Part 1||Unit 4|
|Nov 12||Joining God's Work, Part 2||Unit 4|